New No-Tow Procedures
The "Barnacle" is a light-weight device with two suction cups that attach to the windshield, immobilizing the vehicle by blocking the driver’s view. Vehicles with $500 or more in unpaid tickets risk being immobilized. Transportation Services reserves the right to immobilize or tow any illegally parked or unauthorized vehicle at its discretion on a case-by-case basis.
The Barnacle allows motorists the convenience of electronic payments and fast self-service as an alternate to the tow/impound process.
- How It Works
Once the device is placed on a vehicle, almost a ton of vacuum pressure secures it to the windshield. An alarm sounds if there is any attempt to improperly remove the device. Any attempt to drive the vehicle will trigger the Parking Enforcement’s GPS tracking system.
- What to do if a Barnacle is on your Vehicle
- Visit the website listed on the device, or call the phone number listed on the Barnacle (833) 623-1445.
- On the website, click on “I’ve Been Barnacled.”
- The Barnacle has a 5 digit device number on it. Enter that number where prompted on the website.
- Enter your mobile phone number.
- You will receive a text message with a one-time verification code.
- Enter the three-digit verification code where prompted on the website.
- Enter your credit card payment information. Paying with credit card will allow for immediate removal.
- There is a $200 device return refundable deposit and a $50 non-refundable device deployment charge.
- If you do not have a credit card to release the device, please call Rutgers University at 848-932-7744.
- After paying the deposit amount, you will receive a text message with a four-digit release code.
- Enter the release code into the keypad on the Barnacle to release it. (It may take up to 30 seconds to release).
- Gently pull off the device from the windshield and fold it so the yellow parts are facing out. There is a handle for carrying.
- Return the Barnacle to Public Safety Building, 55 Paul Robeson Blvd New Brunswick, NJ 08901 (the drop box is located on George Street under the overhang and adjacent to the Church parking lot)
- If returned with no damage to the device within 24 hours of payment, the $200 deposit will be refunded.
- Avoid Penalties, Immobilization, or Towing
- A parking permit is required to park on campus.
- If you have received a citation, you can pay your citation here
- Avoid immobilization or towing by paying your citations in a timely manner.
- Please contact us with any questions or concerns.
- You can dispute the charge by calling 848-932-7744 during the hours of 8:30 AM to 4:30 PM Monday thru Friday or visiting dotshelp.rutgers.edu but, you may also release the device now and dispute the charge later