Any item that is presumed stolen from University property should be immediately reported to the Rutgers University Police Department (RUPD) at (732) 932-7211.
You can now file a police report online using the Rutgers Internet Police Reporting System.
Lost & Found Rules
If you lost an item on campus, you may search the Lost and Found Databases by campus maintained by the RUPD:
To inquire further about found property turned over to the RUPD, please contact the University Police Found Property Manager on your respective campus:
- RUPD New Brunswick Found Property Manager
- Phone: 848-932-4934
- Email: RUPD-Property-NB@ipo.rutgers.edu
- RUPD Newark Found Property Manager
- Phone: 973-972-6394
- Email: RUPD-Property-Nwk@ipo.rutgers.edu
- RUPD Camden Found Property Manager
- Phone: 856-225-2909
- Email: RUPD-Property-Cmd@ipo.rutgers.edu
While items of value are expected to be turned over to the RUPD in a timely manner, the Rutgers Student Centers in New Brunswick also maintain a database of lost and found items. This site can be accessed by visiting: http://studentcenters.rutgers.edu/lost-and-found/
If you find an item lost on campus, please return it to the nearest University repository as soon as possible:
|Busch Student Center – 604 Bartholomew Road, Piscataway|
|Livingston Student Center – 84 Joyce Kilmer Avenue, Piscataway|
|Cook Student Center – 59 Biel Road, New Brunswick|
|College Avenue Student Center – 126 College Avenue, New Brunswick|
|Douglass Student Center – 100 George Street, New Brunswick|
|Public Safety Building New Brunswick – 55 Paul Robeson Boulevard, New Brunswick|
|Public Safety Building Newark & RBHS- 5 Bruce Street, Newark|
|Public Safety Building Newark Substation – 200 University Avenue, Newark|
|Public Safety Building Camden – 409 N. 4th Street, Camden|
Certain items should be turned into the police department immediately. These items include:
- High Value Items (Examples: Jewelry, Laptops, Cell Phones)
- Government Issued Identification, Passport, Visa, etc.
- Any item presumed to be stolen
Certain items are excluded from this process and will not be accepted:
- Flammable Items (lighters, vape pens, e-cigarettes, etc.)
- Pens, Pencils, Notebooks, Office Supplies
- Items valued under $25 or with no apparent value
An attempt to locate the owner and return the item will be made by the RUPD. If the item is not claimed within 6 months, it will be transferred to Surplus Property to be disposed of.
State keys are to be returned promptly to Identity and Access Management at 91 Street 1603, Piscataway, NJ 08854.
RU ID Cards
- RU ID cards can be sent back to an ID Card Office.
- RU ID cards received by the police department and unclaimed after 30 days will be disposed of.