Below are some postal saving tips to consider when planning a project.
Top Ten Postal Saving Tip
- Screen your mailing list for unnecessary names and incomplete or incorrect addresses.
- Use Certified mail instead of Registered mail when possible. Certified service costs less and still provides a receipt and delivery notice to the sender.
- Do not over-insure. The US Postal Service and UPS will pay only the actual value of an item, not the declared item.
- Use postcards for short messages and announcements. The cost is 1/3 less then sending an envelope.
- Combine mailings to a single destination into a larger envelope if possible.
- Consider alternative methods of delivery: Bulk Mail, Parcel Post & Non Profit.
- Eliminate Intra-campus envelopes. Fold memos, staple and address correctly for campus delivery or use e-mail.
- Use Business Reply envelopes provided by vendors instead of replying with a department envelope.
- FAX or email the information, if possible, when time is crucial instead of using express mail.
- Use Library or Book Rate when possible. The cost can be as much as 50% less than the 1st Class or Priority Mail rates.