Many laboratories and clinics have collaborations at Rutgers that involve the movement of biological materials. Working in a research animal facility will also often require bringing culture or chemicals to administer to animals. The most commonly transported materials are microbial cultures, toxins, pharmaceuticals, viral vectors, human cells, blood and other materials. Also, many persons may need to transport dry ice.

IATA training is required before shipping any material. If any transport will involve the need to transfer materials through city streets or in a personal vehicle, REHS must be contacted beforehand, as there may be additional trainings and requirements. Some materials may not be permitted to be moved by personal vehicle. Please visit REHS’ website regarding shipping for more details.

Import/ Export and Permit Requirements

Importation of biological materials, including bacteria, viruses, fungi, human or non-human primate material, plants, soils, animal products, etc. into the United States from other countries, or from other states into New Jersey, could require an importation permit. These permits are issued either by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Importation Permit Department (importation into US only), or from the United States Department of Agriculture Animal and Plant Health Inspection Permit. Permits may also be required when shipping/ receiving transgenic seeds, plants and other similar material from Rutgers to another group within the United States. If you have any questions, please contact REHS prior to shipment to avoid penalties and inspections at

All exports from the United States, to another country, must be cleared through the Export Control office prior to shipment. Please email Robert Phillips at and copy

APHIS Biotechnology Regulatory Services: implements regulations for genetically engineered organisms that could pose a threat to plant health. Permits are required for these organisms.

APHIS import/ export program

CDC import permit program

Important Point to remember: If you have a permit from APHIS, CDC, or another government agency, please notify REHS and supply a copy for us. Most of these groups are now performing laboratory safety and compliance inspections. If a government inspector arrives at your site for an inspection please contact REHS at 848-445-2550 immediately. If you receive an email, please forward to for assistance in inspection preparation.