Some activities in offices at the University generate wastes that are regulated by the United States Environmental Protection Agency (USEPA) and/or the New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection (NJDEP). These wastes must be handled properly to protect both human health and the environment.

Regulated wastes must be properly identified, collected, containerized, labeled, and segregated. These waste materials are disposed of through REHS, Material Services, or Facilities Maintenance. To learn more about managing regulated waste in your office please use the links below:


Rechargeable batteries are to be collected and will be picked up by REHS. This includes the following, Lead Acid, NiCad, NiMH, and Lithium batteries. Currently, REHS is not collecting non-rechargeable alkaline batteries, these can be discarded in the general trash.

Consumer Electronics

Items such as computers, televisions, VCRs, stereos, and other items, that contain circuit boards, are considered consumer electronics.

Please contact Rutgers Material Services at (732) 445-2255 for the removal of these items.

Fluorescent Bulbs

Spent fluorescent bulbs are managed by the facilities maintenance department. These items are stored in various locations throughout the University.

To request a pick up of spent fluorescent bulbs, please contact the Facilities Maintenance Zone responsible for your location.

Toner Cartridges

The majority of spent toner cartridges can be returned to the supplier/manufacturer in the original container. Please see the instructions from the supplier/manufacturer of your toner cartridges, for specific information on returning spent cartridges.



Please direct all questions regarding hazardous waste to