- To establish provisions intended to protect the health and safety of laboratory personnel who work with hazardous substances.
- To comply with applicable regulations promulgated by the United States Department of Labor (29 CFR 1910.1450) and Environmental Protection Agency (Title 40, Part 261, 262, and 265).
In 1993, the OSHA Laboratory Standard (29 CFR 1910.1450) was established which requires hazard identification, development of a Chemical Hygiene Plan, designation of responsibility, employee information and training, and record keeping requirements.
REHS developed a Chemical Hygiene Guide, which applies to all faculty, staff, and students who work in teaching and research labs, to provide a model for the development and implementation of a Chemical Hygiene Plan. This Chemical Hygiene Guide must be modified to reflect the actual conditions and work activities performed in each laboratory.
Please Note: RBHS units will continue using the Laboratory Safety Plan.
- OSHA Laboratory Standard
- Rutgers Chemical Hygiene Guide [pdf]
- RBHS Laboratory Safety Plan [pdf]
- Sign in Sheet for Chemical Hygiene Guide [pdf]
- Overall Program Management - Tom Block, or call (848) 445 - 2550
- Laboratory Safety Audits - Peter Skeels, or call (848) 445 - 2550
- Health Safety Specialists (By Campus Assignment), or call (848) 445 - 2550