REHS manages a mercury thermometer exchange program. Utilizing this program, researchers can exchange existing mercury thermometers with less hazardous alcohol thermometers, at no cost to the researcher.
The following are the benefits of this program:
- Elimination of laboratory "down time" due to mercury spill cleanups
- Reduction of mercury thermometer spill clean-up waste generated
- Cost reductions associated with mercury spill kits, clean-up hours, and disposal costs
This program was implemented in 1999, since that time REHS has distributed over 3500 alcohol thermometers throughout the University.
The program consists of the following easy steps:
- Contact REHS by phone at (848) 445-2550 to request a mercury thermometer exchange
- REHS will deliver the new alcohol thermometers to your lab and pick up the old mercury thermometers
Researchers are encouraged to participate in this program. For more information about the program or to request an exchange please contact REHS at (848) 445-2550
- Please direct all questions to firstname.lastname@example.org