Many activities in both art studios and theater arts at the university generate wastes that are regulated by the United States Environmental Protection Agency (USEPA) and/or the New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection (NJDEP). These wastes must be handled properly to protect both human health and the environment.

Regulated wastes must be properly identified, collected, containerized, labeled, and segregated. These waste materials are disposed of through REHS, Material Services or Facilities Maintenance. To learn more about managing regulated wastes in your arts studio or theater art department please use the links below:


  • Some of the waste generated in the University Art & Theater departments cannot be discarded into the general trash, instead it must be managed appropriately, to protect the environment. These items are identified below, along with guidelines for proper storage and disposal.
  • Items such as computers, televisions, VCR's, stereos and other items, which contain circuit boards, are regulated as "Universal Waste" and classified consumer electronics.
    Please contact Rutgers Material Services at (732) 445-2255 for the removal of these items.
  • Spent fluorescent bulbs are regulated as "Universal Waste" and managed by the facilities maintenance department. These items are stored in various locations throughout the University. The following electric lamps are also regulated as universal waste; high intensity discharge, neon, mercury vapor, high-pressure sodium, and metal halide lamps.
    To request a pick up of spent fluorescent bulbs or other regulated electronic lamps, please contact the Facilities Maintenance Zone responsible for your location.
  • Most cylinders can be returned to the supplier/manufacturer for reuse. Contact the supplier/manufacturer of the cylinder for instructions and scheduling. If the supplier of the cylinder will not take back the cylinder, contact REHS to request a pick up of these items.
  • The majority of spent toner cartridges can be returned to the supplier/manufacturer in the original container. Please see the instructions from the supplier/manufacturer of your toner cartridges, for specific information on returning spent cartridges.


Please direct all questions regarding hazardous waste to