You must obtain a Tow Release Form from the Rutgers Police Department before proceeding to the tow yard that has your vehicle. Please see below for location specific information:
- Rutgers University-Camden: 409 North 4th Street
- Rutgers Biomedical & Health Sciences at Newark: 5 Bruce Street
- Rutgers University-Newark: 200 University Avenue
- Rutgers University-New Brunswick: 55 Paul Robeson Boulevard
What You’ll Need
The following documents are required when obtaining a release for the following incidents:
- Recovered Stolen Vehicles
- Current Driver’s License, registration card or title certificate, valid insurance certificate.
- Impound for motor vehicle violation (ie: Unregistered, uninsured, unlicensed, abandoned)
- Current driver’s license, current registration card, insurance declaration page from policy (no insurance cards will be accepted for this offense - No tow releases will be issued)
- Impounds for illegal vehicle dumping, arrests, narcotics violations, carjacking, homicide & robbery investigations, etc.
- Require release form from the investigating detective, current driver’s license, current registration card, and valid insurance certificate.
- Insurance carriers/leinholders taking possession of vehicles titled in their clients name
- Notarized letter, with a raised seal, on an original letterhead indicating all of the vehicle’s descriptive information, in addition to the identity of the towing company to take possession of the vehicle. Letter must indicate that the carrier/leinholder has interest in the vehicle, and further indicate the claim number of the incident.
- Ownership credentials left inside of the vehicle (READ CAREFULLY)
- Absolutely, no person will be allowed onto the premises of any tow facilities. Documents left inside of the vehicles impounded will require replacement from the division of motor vehicles and your insurance carrier.
If you have any questions about the above information, please call the Rutgers Police Department:
- Rutgers University-Camden: 856-225-6111
- Rutgers Biomedical & Health Sciences at Newark: 973-972-4491
- Rutgers University-Newark: 973-353-5111
- Rutgers University-New Brunswick: 732-932-7211
UNCLAIMED VEHICLES ARE SUBJECT TO SALE AT PUBLIC AUCTION IN ACCORDANCE WITH NJS:39:10-3A AFTER 30 DAYS. YOUR PROMPT RESPONSE TO THIS NOTICE WILL AVOID EXCESSIVE STORAGE FEES, SUSPENDED DRIVING PRIVILEGES, AND SUMMONSES FOR ABANDONDED MOTOR VEHICLE.