The Rutgers Police Department retains the original documents generated by the New Brunswick Division of the Police Department. Copies of motor vehicle accident reports, criminal and non-criminal investigation reports and/or other incidents reported to the Police Department may be obtained through the Records Bureau between the hours of 8:30am and 4:30 pm, Monday through Friday (excluding holidays). Rutgers University is governed by the provisions of the Open Public Records Act (OPRA) and will disseminate reports and other relevant statistics in accordance with these guidelines.
Police incident and motor vehicle crash reports generally take 5 to 7 business days (excluding Saturdays, Sundays and Holidays) before they are available to the public. For your convenience we also offer Motor Vehicle Crash reports online.
The Central Records Bureau provides the following services:
- Copies of incident and accident reports (available within 5 - 7 business days of incident)
- Discovery for pending Court actions (including the reproductions of photos when necessary)
- Surveys of Crime Statistics (Uniform Crime Report)
Police reports will only be released upon receipt of a completed, signed, Police Report Incident Request Form.
PUBLIC ACCESS TO GOVERNMENT RECORDS
The University Custodian of Records, within the department of Enterprise Risk Management, Ethics and Compliance, is responsible for accepting and responding to the public's requests for records pursuant to New Jersey's Open Public Records Act ("OPRA"). Requests for records maintained by the Police Department, other than police reports, shall be routed to the University Custodian of Records. You may download and print a form to request a government record from the University Custodian of Records website.
- Police Report Incident Request Form
- Rutgers University Request for Government Records (OPRA) Request Form
For questions relating to Police Records, please contact the following Rutgers Police representatives:
- Rutgers University-Camden: Lieutenant Jennifer Hammill
(856) 225-6870 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Rutgers University-Newark & RBHS at Newark: Lieutenant Gregg Hippe
(973) 972-2017 or email@example.com
- Rutgers University-New Brunswick: Detective Lieutenant Brian Emmett
(848) 932-8025 or firstname.lastname@example.org