If you are in a CRISIS situation please call 911.

College life can be very stressful and demanding. Help in addressing this stress is just a phone call away. We can assist you in your journey and provide necessary intervention or relief to help you stay on track.

RUEMS has partnered with Residence Life, Student Health Services and University Behavioral Health Center (UBHC), to provide emergency behavioral and emotional heath services to the Rutgers Community.

How to Request Assistance 

There are many ways to obtain assistance.

  • You can make an appointment for counseling by calling the main counseling office at (848) 932-7884.
  • You can also stop in at the counseling office located at 17 Senior Street in New Brunswick during office hours.
  • For non-emergency situations, you can contact the Dispatch & Communications Center at (732) 932-7211 and an EMS supervisor can perform a screening and assist in making contact with UBHC.
  • You may also contact UBHC directly at (732) 235- 5700.

After 4:30pm and on Weekends:

Call the 24-hour emergency hotline at (855) 515-5700 which is professionally staffed by the local community mental health center. 

NOTE: This is primarily for people in the New Brunswick/ Piscataway/Middlesex County area. If you are from another area, please call the local hospital emergency room, or look in the “Emergency numbers” section at the front of your telephone directory for a local service.

Other Resources

Depending on the nature of your situation, you may also wish to contact any of the following resources:

  • Rutgers Police Department: (732) 932-7211
  • Office for Violence Prevention and Victim Assistance: (848) 932-1181
  • Suicide / Crisis Hotline: (800) 273-8255
  • The Trevor Project (LGBTQ Hotline): (866) 488-7386
  • Rape Crisis Hotline: (210) 349-7273
  • RW Johnson University Hospital: (732) 828-3000
  • St. Peters Medical Center: (732) 745-8600
  • Rutgers Health Services: (848) 932-7402
  • HIV/STI Hotline: (800) 624-2377
  • Compulsive Gambling: (800) 426-2537
  • Eating Disorders: (800) 522-2230
  • LGBTQ Helpline: (973) 285-1595
  • Poison Control: (973) 285-1595
  • Dean of Students Office: (848) 932-2300