REHS manages a mercury thermometer exchange program. Utilizing this program, researchers can exchange existing mercury thermometers with less hazardous alcohol thermometers, at no cost to the researcher.
Currently, we exchange Fischerbrand "Blue-Spirit, Ever-Safe" Laboratory Thermometers. Partial Immersion (76mm) with a range of -20 degrees to +150 degrees Celsius. (Fischer Scientific Part # 15-160-22)
The following are the benefits of this program:
- Elimination of laboratory "down time" due to mercury spill cleanups
- Reduction of mercury thermometer spill clean-up waste generated
- Cost reductions associated with mercury spill kits, clean-up hours, and disposal costs
This program was implemented in 1999, since that time REHS has distributed over 3500 alcohol thermometers throughout the University.
The program consists of the following easy steps:
- Contact REHS by phone at (732) 445-2550 to request a mercury thermometer exchange
- REHS will deliver the new alcohol thermometers to your lab and pick up the old mercury thermometers
Researchers are encouraged to participate in this program
- Please direct all questions to firstname.lastname@example.org. or call (732) 445 - 2550