Carefully reviewing, categorizing, and indexing your records are critical to the success of any records management program. Moreover, following established guidelines can increase efficiency by disposing of out-of-date items that do not require retention.
Records packed for storage are to be processed in compliance with the Rutgers record retention guidelines here. They must be reviewed, assigned a record series code, and the retention period must be determined according to university requirements. Afterwards, they shoud be packed in special storage boxes, properly labeled, and stored in a secure, cool, dry place until the destruction date.
- Records must be sent in approved one cubic foot (12 x 15 x 10) records storage boxes. To order boxes, contact the Records Management Center at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If you are storing documents that will not fit in the approved box (blueprints, ledger books, etc.), please contact us to discuss alternate storage options. Packing guidelines:
- Do not pack hanging folders in boxes
- Do not over pack the box, the lid should firmly
- Do not lay additional files on top of files already packed
- Leave at least 1 inch of space in each box to allow for the easy retrieval of files (additional space should be left if it is known that more files will be added at a future date)
- Do not write on or tape lists to the box
- Records should be packed in the same order as they were maintained in your filing cabinets.
- REQUIRED: Prepare a box level inventory of the contents of each box.
- Create and assign a unique box # that corresponds to the box level inventory.
- Use the box creation function of the online records management software to enter the information.
- RECOMMENDED: The Records Management Database is able to provide five level indexing in addition to the box level.
- Files may be added to the system online, imported from various formats, or entered from paper documents
- File level indexing can be provided to a department by the RURC (fees may apply).
- Place one hard copy of the inventory in the box and retain a second copy for your records.
- Notify the RURC that you have boxes that you would like picked up. All requests for records pick up are done through the online software.
- Labels will be generated and sent to the requester (each box will get a bar-coded label that corresponds to the original unique box #)
- The RURC will review the indexes prepared online or transmittal form for completeness. Upon approval, RURC will schedule to have your boxes picked up within 3 business days. You will receive an email notification confirming the date of your pickup.
Please Note: Bulk storage items such as furniture and office equipment CANNOT be accepted for storage at the Records Center. For information on warehousing options, please visit Material Services website at ipo.rutgers.edu/bs/material-logistical-services