Rutgers University Golf Course was founded in 1894, when four men and four women organized the New Brunswick Golf Club. One of the earliest clubs in the United States, it was among the first members of the United States Golf Association. The first course consisted of six holes, laid out on rented land east of Livingston Avenue between Delavan and Lawrence Streets, and extending to Remsen Avenue. In 1897, a 9-hole, 2,396-yard course was built in Piscataway on property leased from George W. Metlar. As was customary at the time, the holes bore names such as Valley, Pie-Crust, Carry-All, and Goblet. Serving as the clubhouse was the historic Ross Hall that was built by Edward Antill in 1740 and housed General Washington and his staff. By 1912, with over 250 members, the club was prosperous enough to purchase 118 acres further out on River Road. In 1933, the Depression led to the bankruptcy of the club, which was purchased in 1935 by Rutgers for $15,000. A new era was launched in 1961 with the construction of an 18-hole course. Expertly designed by Hal Purdy, a noted golf architect, the course was officially opened May 29,1963.
Taken from "Here’s Our History" (May 1997) by Richard P. McCormick
With the formation of the New Brunswick Golf Club in the late 1800's, the former Ross Hall became the clubhouse for the new golf club (1897 - 1925). The New Brunswick Golf Club consisted of approximately 170 acres including a 9-hole golf course. The clubhouse and the course became the predecessor of the Rutgers Golf Club.